Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Is Sin a Big Deal?

God does not change. The wrath of God revealed in the Old Testament against sin did not just disappear with the new covenant. In fact, the tenacious wrath of God against sin revealed in the Old Testament gives credibility to the doctrine of Penal Substitution. Jesus suffered the righteous wrath of God He displayed in the Old Testament. God does not change.

Nahum 1:2-3 NKJV
God is  jealous, and the Lord avenges; The Lord avenges and is furious. The Lord will take vengeance on His adversaries, And He reserves wrath for His enemies; The Lord  is  slow to anger and great in power, And will not at all acquit the  wicked. The Lord has His way In the whirlwind and in the storm, And the clouds are the dust of His feet.

Exodus 32:25-29 NKJV
Now when Moses saw that the people were  unrestrained (for Aaron had not restrained them, to their shame among their enemies), then Moses stood in the entrance of the camp, and said, “Whoever is on the Lord ’s side— come to me!” And all the sons of Levi gathered themselves together to him. And he said to them, “Thus says the Lord God of Israel: ‘Let every man put his sword on his side, and go in and out from entrance to entrance throughout the camp, and let every man kill his brother, every man his companion, and every man his neighbor.’ ” So the sons of Levi did according to the word of Moses. And about three thousand men of the people fell that day. Then Moses said, “Consecrate yourselves today to the Lord , that He may bestow on you a blessing this day, for every man has opposed his son and his brother.”

Ezekiel 5:10-13 NKJV
Therefore fathers shall eat their sons in your midst, and sons shall eat their fathers; and I will execute judgments among you, and all of you who remain I will scatter to all the winds. ‘Therefore, as I live,’ says the Lord God , ‘surely, because you have defiled My sanctuary with all your detestable things and with all your abominations, therefore I will also diminish you;  My eye will not spare, nor will I have any pity. One-third of you shall die of the pestilence, and be consumed with famine in your midst; and one-third shall fall by the sword all around you; and I will scatter another third to all the winds, and I will draw out a sword after them. ‘Thus shall My anger be spent, and I will cause My fury to rest upon them, and I will be avenged; and they shall know that I, the Lord , have spoken it in My zeal, when I have spent My fury upon them.

Jeremiah 19:7-9 NKJV
And I will make void the counsel of Judah and Jerusalem in this place, and I will cause them to fall by the sword before their enemies and by the hands of those who seek their lives; their corpses I will give as meat for the birds of the heaven and for the beasts of the earth. I will make this city desolate and a hissing; everyone who passes by it will be astonished and hiss because of all its plagues. And I will cause them to eat the flesh of their sons and the flesh of their daughters, and everyone shall eat the flesh of his friend in the siege and in the desperation with which their enemies and those who seek their lives shall drive them to despair.” ’

Leviticus 26:27-30 NKJV
‘And after all this, if you do not obey Me, but walk contrary to Me, then I also will walk contrary to you in fury; and I, even I, will chastise you seven times for your sins. You shall eat the flesh of your sons, and you shall eat the flesh of your daughters. I will destroy your high places, cut down your incense altars, and cast your carcasses on the lifeless forms of your idols; and My soul shall abhor you.

No comments:

Post a Comment